HI. My name is Louie. Welcome to my blog. I am a grown up baby.

My whole life, I've prided myself on being a kid at heart, in reality confusing this with being downright immature - in other words - a big baby, which now makes me a 56 year old baby man.

Check back from time to time, to watch as little Louie grows up. Kind of like watching Santa Claus fade away into oblivion or the 'tooth fairy' falling out of the sky. Bummer.




I guess it takes what it takes to grow up. I'm a little slower than some - OK, a lot slower (56 at the time of this writing) and may only be around 18 emotionally, but it's a good start. To be honest, I'm still not real keen on the idea of growing up, most days preferring to escape on grand adventures, in my head. And therin lies the difference - why Louie's finally growing up - today, these 'great escapes' are in my head and I'm not heading out the door with a backpack.

This blog chronicles a lifetime of insanity, in the truest sense of the word - BiPolar disorder, manic depression it used to be called. I am an outspoken advocate for mental health, freely describing my experience, strength and hope with anyone that's interested.

Many of these blog posts are from people that have written to me, many suffering emotional distress. All of these writings come from the heart, most of which are raw and unedited. If you are of the overly sensitive disposition - you might want to steer clear.

If you really wannna have some fun ... check this out ... www.dailygooddog.com

I do hope you enjoy my rantings. This is therapy for me, and a journal that shows me that I am, in fact, maturing - proving at long last to ex-wives, that it is possible even though pigs don't fly.

Louie Rochon



Friday, March 2, 2007

Letter from Dad

This is a letter I just received from my 84 year old dad, Andre Rochon, who recently moved into an assisted living facility to join his wife (after selling his home which he has lived in for decades), in Montreal, Canada. My reply is located below ...

Wednesday, February 28th

Dear Louie,

To-night, I have finally been able to relax. For months I have been stressed by a number of events that have not only perturbed my life but have totally changed my mode of living. I seemed to be looking from the outside at a new me with whom I had difficulty associating.

I will not start again to list all the events through which I have been through, not only during the last four months, but even since Jeanne (his wife who went into an assisted living home) left home to be placed in a residence a year and a half ago. To-day, I think that I have resolved the last problems associated with my move and the sale of the house.

To-night, it was pure bliss. After an excellent dinner consisting in a heaping plate of excellent muscles eaten with mayonnaise and accompanied by a glass of very ordinary wine, that nevertheless, given my mood, gave me the pleasure of a grand cru, I returned to my apartment. I settled in my Lazy Boy and for the first time in months I listened in the dark to my favorite classical music program. There was a magnificent program of Bach’s music. I gradually drifted to sleep listening to the Wedding Cantata. It is now 9 o’clock and I have awakened to the gracious marvel of an oboe concerto, another masterpiece of the same composer. I just opened my e-mail to find another masterpiece, a charming biography of Danielle (my sister).

BLISS! ..…….May it last!....... I am now going to bed with a good book until I dissolve into pleasant dreams. I hope that that this is the start of a new era.

and my reply ________________________________________________


Dear Dad,


What do I think?

I think that you have finally arrived at that place in your life in which you can absolutely and completely en-joy your life—all the grand memories as well as the not-so-grand, realizing that you have survived and now have the luxury of peace, contentment, satisfaction and gratitude for a life well spent.

I think it is as if you have collected these gems over a lifetime and now have the opportunity to be able to carefully remove them from the bag and truly enjoy them.

I think that you have made peace with your past, look forward to collecting (and savoring) a few more precious gems in the future, but most importantly—you are thoroughly experiencing the bliss of the present moment.

Yes dad, I think that I can understand your bliss and I couldn’t be happier, more grateful and honored in being able to share in your joy.

I love you dad, always have and always will.

Louie


No comments: