HI. My name is Louie. Welcome to my blog. I am a grown up baby.

My whole life, I've prided myself on being a kid at heart, in reality confusing this with being downright immature - in other words - a big baby, which now makes me a 56 year old baby man.

Check back from time to time, to watch as little Louie grows up. Kind of like watching Santa Claus fade away into oblivion or the 'tooth fairy' falling out of the sky. Bummer.




I guess it takes what it takes to grow up. I'm a little slower than some - OK, a lot slower (56 at the time of this writing) and may only be around 18 emotionally, but it's a good start. To be honest, I'm still not real keen on the idea of growing up, most days preferring to escape on grand adventures, in my head. And therin lies the difference - why Louie's finally growing up - today, these 'great escapes' are in my head and I'm not heading out the door with a backpack.

This blog chronicles a lifetime of insanity, in the truest sense of the word - BiPolar disorder, manic depression it used to be called. I am an outspoken advocate for mental health, freely describing my experience, strength and hope with anyone that's interested.

Many of these blog posts are from people that have written to me, many suffering emotional distress. All of these writings come from the heart, most of which are raw and unedited. If you are of the overly sensitive disposition - you might want to steer clear.

If you really wannna have some fun ... check this out ... www.dailygooddog.com

I do hope you enjoy my rantings. This is therapy for me, and a journal that shows me that I am, in fact, maturing - proving at long last to ex-wives, that it is possible even though pigs don't fly.

Louie Rochon



Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My Life is My Message

Dear Good Dog Readers,

I feel incredibly blessed by writing and distributing the 'Daily Good Dog Feeding.' This work I do, has resulted in regaining genuine passion and purpose back into my life - a deep feeling of joy that can only come from believing that I am making a positive difference in the life of another person. There is no greater feeling. I am also blessed with the incredible healing power of all of you - the cummulative positive energy of thousands around the world - trying to the best of their abilities, to live their lives as if it is their message - which it is.

It's no easy task to ask for help when you're down. Recently, while going through a patch of insecurity, doubt and self pity, I chose to follow my own advice and ask for support, from my friends ... I sent out a plea to Good Dog readers all over the world ... and you responded, in mass. Thank You. Thank You, so very much, as Good Dog is now - back on top.

Every morning, before I start writing The Dog, I pray. Most days, I have no idea what I will write about. I wait, quietly, after I pray, for something to pop up in my head. Some days, I agonize in trying to find messages that feel 'right,' to put out there.

'Inspirations' come in many forms. Some days, they don't come at all. This morning, it came in the form of an email from a new Good Dog friend, Patty, in the foothills of the Appalachians in West Virginia. I'd like to share this letter with you. My response is below her letter.
_____________________________________________________

10/08/08

Hello there,

I just wanted to let you know how much of a difference your quotes that you send so graciously to each of us subscribed ......it really gives me insight to other areas where i would be blind or possibly not even consider......it lifts me up when i am feeling low......it encourages me when i am near to giving up or withdrawing to my own little world of "i can't make a difference anyway" .....and it provides a feeling of hope for an encouraging word each time i see your name in the email inbox.

You wrote of not being able to come up with a subject area in light of all going on in the world today, I imagine that has become harder and harder to do. I want to thank you for persevering and keeping the faith that the written word can inspire, can change lives, can help one through a day of rain and shadows into the light and rainbows that linger just to the edge of their vision. You are truly an inspiration …

I thought I'd offer up some help on some subject ideas : how about judgments (as in NOT doing so to others), quantum entanglement (where each of us and our actions affect another be it miles or oceans apart), the power of imagination or creativity, stigmatization and the need or inspiration for others to "walk a mile in another's shoes" first, or the wonderment of children and the inspiration they give us to keep trying to get some semblance of order/stability for their futures, the value of being "STILL" per say and listening to the moment and the intense power of silence, or the power of living a proactive life in all terms of the word or a self sufficient life and the rewards it offers (kind of a reap and sow type of scenario) ...

These are just some ideas that have come to me and I hope that you see that as helpful not "pushy" or in anyway saying that the quotes you send aren't PERFECTLY what i need ... just some ideas for i know coming up with new themes and quote has to be rather difficult ... so i just thought I'd help you out in light of the email where you spoke of having difficulty in such times of turmoil for our nation .... I DO thank you for keeping it UNPOLITICAL for goodness knows we get enough of that!!

Well, i hope you have a good day today and are inspired beyond your wildest dreams....your emails are a great shining light in a weary weary world …

One of my favorites is "so shines a good deed in a weary weary world" (R. Dahl "willy wonka")

Thanks for all you do for us all!!


Sincerely

ctrygirl, Patty

________________________________________________

Dear Patty,

Your kind words of encouragement were like a cool drink of water for a parched throat. Thank You.

Following my own advice, asking for support when I was down, resulted in an amazing number of emails from people from all over the world. These messages have helped drown-out Bad Dog's incessant barking, allowing Good Dog to be in control. I realize that Bad Dog is always there, waiting patiently on my other shoulder, till I drop my guard. Bad Dog loves to pounce on me and pin me down to the ground. I've learned that I must be diligent, using all my Good Dog tools if I want to stay ahead of the beast. Some days I forget and it doesn't take long to fall into that hole of depression and hopelessness. We humans are a fragile species, aren't we.

In trying times like these, it's especially important that I immerse myself in positive self talk (Good Dog) as it is far too easy to fall victim to fear, despair, panic and paralysis. Even 'intellectually' realizing that this kind of thinking is self destructive and serves no useful purpose, it often feels impossible to avoid this pathetic 'stinkin thinkin.'

You know what ... today, I chose NOT to allow myself to sink into that inner hell. Gandhi said, "My life is my message." These are big words to live up to, but I believe in them. I believe there is very little I can do to change the world, but I also strongly believe that we, as individuals have virtually unlimited power to effect change, by changing our own attitudes and subsequent actions. I mean, come on, what's the alternative! Today, at least this very moment, I focus on my own quotes and go out there, to the best of my ability, and live these words of encouragement.

There is so much negativity out there. It's easy to feel overwhelmed and dis-empowered. This is one reason why I have felt compelled to work on this series entitled, "EMPOWER." This is my offering and within these words, I can choose to use them as a road map of sorts, a fuel source to EMPOWER me down the road today. It's hard work to follow this path, this road less traveled, but it is the 'easier softer' way, for me.

I am NOT a religious man. I am a spiritual man and I do believe in God. I have intentionally chosen to avoid politics and religion (God knows, there is plenty of that out there). Every morning, I ask that God use me to bring some good into the world and to show me what to say. I see my role as collecting and publishing His message of hope and encouragement. These are not my quotes, but a collection of wise words from some of the greatest minds in human history. I simply follow these God-nudges and act on them. Many days, this is no easy task.

That said, I will share with you, my favorite prayer. I've underlined my favorite part...

"God, I offer myself to thee, to build with me and do with me as thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do thy will. Take away my difficulties that victory over them may bear witness to Thy Power, Thy Love and Thy Way of Life. May I do Thy will always."

Thanks again, Patty, for your encouragement as well as the great suggestions for future topics. I will use them - they are very good.

God Bless Us All,

Louie

No comments: